Michael Jackson, Sisqo, Holly Marie Combs, Lee Thomas – what do these famous personalities all have in common? Vitiligo. Vitiligo is a skin condition which causes the skin to lose its color. It is mainly characterized by the presence of white spots and patches on the body. It can be widespread, affecting the whole body, or it can just affect specific areas of the body. There are about 65 million people in the world suffering from this peculiar skin disease but it's surprising to know that there's no permanent cure for it yet. About three percent of the world's population is affected by it but the real cause behind this disease is still unknown. Luckily, there are ways that vitiligo patients can do to bring back some color to their skin. Lifestyle changes alongside natural vitiligo treatments have been proven to be very useful in repigmenting the skin. Let me share to you some of them.
1. Eat a vitamin rich diet. Consuming foods rich in vitamins A, B, magnesium, copper and zine have been proven to help in preventing white patches from spreading all over the body.
2. Avoid stress or if it's impossible, keep stress levels to a minimum. They say stress is one of the primary causes of vitiligo as well as other serious health conditions such as the big C. So, it won't hurt if you keep your stress levels to a minimum. Think happy thoughts all the time.
3. Eat a fiber rich diet. Having a fiber rich diet can help energize vitiligo patients during treatments. Organic oats, brown rice, and whole wheat products are some examples of healthy foods rich in fiber.
4. Make sunscreen your best friend. Vitiligo patches may appear white and sunburn proof but the truth is, they can burn quite easily. This is why it is very important to protect them from the sun's harmful UV rays. Always wear sunscreen every day and as much as possible stay indoors and avoid exposing yourself to the sun.
5. Use self tanners or get a spray tan. These are good and safe ways to repigment your skin if you don't want to undergo treatments. It's easy, it's fast and it's very accessible. It is very important to not sunbathe under the sun or use tanning beds and sun lamps to add color to your skin. These are not safe at all as it can burn your skin.
6. Undergo vitiligo treatments. There are several vitilgo treatments today which aims to improve the pigmentation of the affected skin. It does not really cure vitiligo, but it really helps in improving the appearance of the skin that has lost its pigment.
7. Have a good support system. The emotional aspect of having this skin disease is probably the most important more than the physical aspect. It is often overlooked but in reality, dealing with your feelings and thoughts on having this disease is the worst. Connecting with other people with vitiligo can definitely help you cope up. Meeting new people and making new friends can also help in boosting your confidence and self esteem despite your condition.